Pitta Nature Tours
Sapsucker Art

Posted: January 05, 2017


Check out this gorgeous piece of sapsucker art from Salt Lake City.  The non-birders who found it sent me a picture of the bird for help identifying it--the grainy cell phone shot looked like it might be a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker which is a pretty damn good bird for northern Utah--it would be a county lifer for me.  I've asked the homeowners to let me know if it comes back so I can maybe have a looksie.

But who cares about lifers, or county birds when this bad ass, steel-billed, destroyer of trees can create such an amazing piece of artwork. Organizational chaos.  It's like OCD mixed with ADD.  I love it.  Something about sapsucker drill sites always leave me in awe.

And, if you have a woodpecker wreaking havoc on your trees and want to stop the carnage, don't do what my cousins from the hills would do and resort to a revolver.  That's illegal, and there are more effective, and environmentally friendly ways to deter future destruction:

Woodpecker Control Methods BTYB the Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Labels: ,

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Mailing List

Sign up for our mailing list so you never miss an update, get our latest tour news, and exclusive deals on new products and tours!

Sign Up Now