Pitta Nature Tours
Ruddy Turnstone Limited Edition Print

Posted: January 18, 2017

So the 2017 ABA Bird of the Year is one of my favorites--it's a shorebird and a species that was my Utah nemesis bird.  It wasn't for lack of trying, I just seemingly missed the Ruddy Turnstone at every "turn".  So... Anyways, my first Utah Ruddy Turnstone came in 2007--not on the coast or at a beach, but right here in northern Utah.  Imagine having spent a morning hiking around a 12,000' peak looking for White-tailed Ptarmigan.  The hike is a success and as you return to a normal elevation and cell phone coverage, you have a phone full of voicemails.  Birders aware of your current big year attempt want to let you know there's a turnstone at Bear River MBR on the north shore of the Great Salt Lake.  The only problem--you're 5 hours away...

Well, needless to say, I didn't let that stop me, and after a long long drive, I finally nabbed that turnstone--on a mudflat, in a drying out unit of a bird refuge in the desert.  It was a beauty, and the most colorful turnstone I've ever seen.  Check it out here.

Now since then, I of course as with all nemesis birds, have seen more than I ever could've imagined in Utah--and beyond.  I've seen them in Oregon and California, and in Mexico, Panama, and Peru.

The nemesis no more is now a bird I come across several times every year.

With the ABA announcing this clown-faced, flipper of rocks, dweller of beaches, and all around handsome as a devil Ruddy Turnstone as their bird of the year, I decided to design a  print showing my admiration of the bird.



This is going to be limited to 100 prints at each of the following sizes:

8x10 - $15

16x20 - $25

+ $5 S&H anywhere in the lower 48

Either will be a matte finish and come shipped to your door in a protective tube or envelope. If you like turnstones or know a shorebird aficionado, this print is the perfect way to show your admiration for the clown of the beach. You can get yours today through the link below!



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Mailing List

Sign up for our mailing list so you never miss an update, get our latest tour news, and exclusive deals on new products and tours!

Sign Up Now